My motivations to start a PG Cert

There are two layers to my motivation why I decided to start a PG Cert.  One is more personal and the other is more practical and professional.

The personal motivation is the possibility for personal development.  I see the chance of going back to academic learning for myself as a very big challenge and also a chance for personal growth. I have struggled with learning academically ever since I first went to school.  Despite my BA and MA studies I was deeply traumatised by my time at school.  For a very long time I believed that I am ‘stupid’ and that I cannot learn any new knowledge.  Through a neurodiversity test I found out that I am dyslexic.  I see the studies of my PG Cert as a big opportunity to change my relationship to learning.

The PG Cert will also give me more background knowledge on what I already do intuitively when I teach and help me with more practical tools and techniques. I hope it will give me the chance to evaluate my ways of teaching and refine it. I also hope that it will help me to engage with the academic language and translate it to more practical and inclusive language for myself and my students.

On a wider perspective, I understand that a spectrum of teaching techniques to engage a large variety of people in learning is a very important skill that I want to expand on.

Over the last year I got involved in Extinction Rebellion, activism and the social change that brings.  In particular looking at the climate and ecological crisis that we are facing I see it part of the responsibility in education to prepare especially young people for a more realistic future that we are facing, rather than an idea of the future that for what ever reason we are clinging on to.  The more flexible and skilled the more inclusive the change that we all need to shape together.  This is vital for me in order to make education relevant for the future.

I very much look forward to the learning and expansion of this year through the PG Cert.

Personal and professional introduction

One thought on “My motivations to start a PG Cert