Object-based Learning

Reflection on ‘Innovative pedagogies series ‘Wow: The power of objects in object-based learning and teaching’ by Kirsten Hardie

The technique described in the paper seems like an interesting tool that can be integrated in teaching. As Hardie describes in the paper, the techniques seem very specific to her personal experience, her access to objects and her personal preference.

Generally, OBL is an engaging tool for Enquiry Based Learning. In order to make the insight of her studies more applicable to other subjects, examples of different approaches of OBL, the learning process itself would be useful. The paper is at parts very vague and does not give enough information in order to apply the content of the paper in a wide variety of courses and contexts.

On further research on Enquiry Based Learning the paper from Peter Kahn gave a wider context where OBL sits within the Enquiry-based Learning.

Exercise 1

In the section ‘the power of wow’ Hardie talks about the impact of the chosen object.

In this exercise the students present their chosen object to the group without words. The object speaks for itself and only instantaneous, authentic responses like ‘wow’. This confirms the success of the student’s choice. Then a discussion will take place. Hardie further explains

… learners are invited to consider the impact that designs can have; the messages that they can communicate, and how objects can be interpreted. Students are encouraged to think creatively; to explore their own experiences and responses to objects

• The students spend thought and preparation time to find and choose an interesting object. This in itself is an important process where the students consider, investigate and question various aspects of a number of objects. They will go through a process of asking what and why they find something interesting.
  • By presenting their chosen object to the group the students get an honest initial reaction from their peers where they can measure their own thoughts and levels of interest and curiosity against.

The students are asked to write a detailed consideration of the object and complete an object identification which asks the students to look at the following

what is its function, age and target audience? Who designed and manufactured it? Is it ergonomically designed? What does the object communicate and what values do you think it has? (E.g. financial, social, historical or cultural).  

Followed by more in-depth and context questions that will reveal further aspects of the object.

… Where did they come from? Who did they belong to? What are they worth? Why? Identification of the material that the object is made from and the key contextual information that I provide – the object’s provenance (its backstory) – can enrich the learning and further intrigue learners

• By exploring these questions and aspects to an object the students get various angles to the object they might not initially think of by themselves. In this way the students have the chance to learn about various subjects which could be history, physics, chemistry or many more.

Exercise 2

On the role play ‘Design crime mock trial’ selected design objects are put on trial and investigated whether they are ‘guilty or not guilty’ to be flawed or failed design. In this setup the students can explore playfully their judgement on design. Relevant research was seen as evidence to the case.

• In this playful activity the students engage with various aspects of an object and learn how to argue for or against their opinion on an object. This helps to learn about the complex angels one can highlight to an object.

Exercise 3

In the project ‘the love of graphics exhibition’ the students get the chance to curate in small teams an exhibition of various objects with the focus on graphics. Here the students have the chance to take ownership of their learning. This gives the students some agency over their learning.

making space for students to take control of and responsibility for their learning can greatly enhance their ability to learn from experience (Kolb and Kolb 2005, p. 209).

Each student contributes one object which they love and writes a short text about the object. This exercise is designed for learners to develop their skills in team work, group decision making, research and at the same time they learn about each other’s passions of design.

• This is a good ice breaker exercise as it brings something personal from the individual student to the group, something that they love. The students can discuss this object without talking about the person itself. It gives them the chance to relate to each other, discuss similarities and differences and make these visible in the curation of their exhibition.

What I like about the OBL approach is that the learning is led by the curiosity of the student. The outcome of the learning is open and shaped by the object, the group and the individual student itself.

How I can apply OBL to my teaching?

OBL Session for Foundation in Art and Design

An exercise using OBL can help with the introduction of research with my foundation students.Preparation: Inviting students to bring an object or ’their jar of curiosity’*, which they feel a strong ‘wow’ factor about or an object they love. Each student writes a short text about their object as description.

Session structure:

• Group of tables with 6 students each. The object can be placed on the table together with a printout of their descriptive text placed next to the object.
  • Each student gets 5 posted notes. The students walk around place questions near the object that they are intrigued about. No question can be repeated. (this could also work as an online workshop using Padlet)
  • Brief talk about ‘curiosity and asking questions’ content-based question to essential question (more info on separate sheet)
  • On the table of 6 start to ask each other questions about the objects, note the questions down, 3-5min each student. As a group try to find essential questions
  • On their tables students now pair up. In their pair they now review the questions that they have gathered and start to think where they can find information and answers for their questions. The students will work together throughout the on-week project
  • Observational drawing of their object. Variation of drawings, drawing aspects that they are curious about, details that they are interested, surface, texture, shape
  • The questions that they noted down will help them guide throughout the weeks research. Looking at as many different sources as possible

Outcome: presentation of the research they have both gathered in various media, photography, selection of related objects and materials, drawings, collage, moodboard and other.

The OBL research project will be a good icebreaker and starting point to explore their curiosity in research. By researching one single object from many different aspects they will understand in-depth research better. A workshop on questions can help the students to come up with lead questions that help them to guide their search during this one-week research project. This can be a starting point for a one-week project in part 2 at the foundation when the fashion and textile students come together with the diagnostic students.

For an icebreaker the ’Jar of curiosity’ would work well, where the students are invited to create a jar with the things that they feel curious about. This will give the students the chance to talk about their curiosity, passion or love without needing to talk about themselves.

Object-based learning, UTA MMU, University of Manchester

My Learning Experiences

When I started to read the text, I noticed an initially resistance as the text that I was asked to read appeared to be very academic and distant.

I could also sense some interesting content in it as it involved an innovative and creative form of education.

As I am dyslexic the most common form of learning through reading text is not very accessible to me nor it is for a lot of my students. I could sense the relevance for me in this modality.

I felt frustrated when I first read through the paper as the way it was written is very case specific and I initially could not relate to the text.

Doing some further reading on Enquiry-based Learning helped me to put the OBL in a wider context which helped me to make Hardie’s work more relevant for me.

This is when I had ideas how I could implement the OBL in my teaching and how my students could benefit from it.

The learning I take for me is, that I learn new things when I see how they are relevant for me.Over the last week I started to develop ‘My Learning Manual’ which captured the key points which make learning relevant, fun and accessible for myself.

Further notes and sources on OBL

Video on Object-based learning, Phoenix Art Museum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPvLQ2o3vHY

First step is to observe; use words to describe the object. Do you come up with similar words to describe the object? i.e. material, weight, associations, cultural refereces,

Second step ask a question. This is the first step to learn. Write down questions and compare. What is it?

Third step is to research. Where do you go to find the information? Library, online, museum’s catalogue. Record what you find out and record the process where new questions came up in the process.

Fourth step is to make a conclusion. Summarise your observation and findingsWhat is Enquiry based learning